Friday, February 17, 2012

BREAKING. 7de Laan's Vinette Ebrahim slams the Saftas after the SABC2 soap gets excluded from the Best Soap category this year.


You're reading it here first.

I've been travelling all day yesterday and landed back in Cape Town after midnight - on my flight was Vinette Ebrahim, the star of SABC2's 7de Laan who I spoke to, and who is slamming the South Africa Film and Television Awards (Saftas).

I asked her for her thoughts after I broke the shocker RIGHT HERE on Wednesday that the soap won't be on the list in the Best Soap category for the upcoming 6th Saftas.

When I spotted the every-lovely Vinette Ebrahim on our very late same flight last night, I asked her if I could get her opinion and reaction on the shocking news that viewers and the South African public won't be able to vote for 7de Laan in the Best Soap category in the 6th Saftas.

7de Laan's biggest and arguably most beloved star had this to say:

''My feeling is I'm standing 100% behind Colin Howard [line producer] and the whole 7de Laan production team. I just feel that with all these different award shows – how is it possible that for the past three years – 2009, 2010 and 2010 we continually get the Best TV soap award as voted for by viewers, the biggest prize for a soap in South Africa – that we win that prize but that none of us ever win in any individual category ever entered?''

''I completely agree with 7de Laan's decision not to enter the Saftas this year. I'm not interested; I don't care. All that matters is our loyal viewers and 7de Laan's fans – the people who watch us night after night, the country's people who love us and everyone who cherish us and the very hard work we put in day after day to bring them an ever unfolding story and characters that they enjoy.''

''In this country we don't really have a star system. Yes, it's nice to be recognized by your co-stars and your peers, but in the end it's all the same. It doesn't matter so much as our viewers and what they think.''

''All I want to say to 7de Laan's fans and our beloved viewers is thank you very, very, very much for your loyal and wonderful support – for the loyal viewers who keep tuning in, for standing behind us and always supporting us. And please keep watching.''

ALSO READ: 7de Laan - the past 3 years voted Best Soap - suddenly excluded as a choice by the NFVF and the upcoming 6th Saftas.
ALSO READ: Nominees for the 6th South African Film and Television Awards.
ALSO READ: 7de Laan slams the South African Film and Television Awards: ''Disappointed'' at being excluded from Best Soap category.